Dry Rot Repair Service in Sacramento
Dry Rot Repair in Sacramento
Dry rot is a common issue that many homeowners will deal with over the course of time. The issue is caused by a fungus that decays the wood. This impacts the strength of the wood as well as its appearance. Getting a dry rot repair service to dealing with the issue as soon as you notice it is imperative as this can minimize the amount of damage that is caused by the wood fungus. If you have noticed that you have dry rot on your home, you may be wondering what you can do to repair the damage and to remove the fungus from your home. And with a quality dry rot repair service from the right handyman, you can say goodbye to the dry rot issues in your home.
If you have a small area of dry rot on your property in a location that is easy to reach, you may consider treating the area and repairing it on your own. First, you can scrape away the surface of the damaged area until you reach an area where the wood is hard and firm. Then, apply a wood hardener to the area, and allow this substance to dry onto the wood. This essentially will remove and treat the damaged area, but you will also need to repair the damage caused by the wood fungus.
To repair the damaged area, wood filler will need to be applied to the wood, and it will need to be molded or shaped so that it takes on the look of the wood that had been damaged by the fungus. If the area is very large, you may need to add a block of wood to the area rather than use a wood filler. You can sand and finish the material so that it has a flawless, seamless look with the rest of the material. After the wood filler or replacement wood piece looks like the rest of the material, you can then paint it to complete the project. Ideally, your efforts will give you the result that the wood was never damaged rather than that it has been repaired.
A dry rot repair may sound simple, but it actually can take a lot of time and effort. More than that, the right skill and technique are required to give the best results overall.
Tips on Repairing and Preventing Dry Rot
Here are some advice on preventing and succeeding in the dry rot repair of your home:
Prevention can save you time and money when it comes to dry rot, and it is simple and easy to do.
- Kitchens and bathrooms should have proper ventilation. Attics as well should have adequate ventilation. It will reduce moisture which causes dry rot.
- Plumbing should be properly installed, and then you should do consistent and frequent checks looking for leaks; look under sinks, around toilets for leaks. If you find a leak take care of it immediately as any moisture from the leak if not taken care of will cause mildew and mold which in turn causes dry rot.
- Decks require a proper sealing, and it should regularly be reapplied to keep moisture out.
- Roofing and siding; should be installed by professionals who know how to keep moisture from getting in by using wraps. They should make sure proper ventilation channels so that any moisture that does get in behind or underneath will be able to evaporate and dry quickly. You also should do a yearly check to see if you see any signs of leaking.
Repairing may sound easy and simple but do not be fooled, often it is better to hire a professional.
- Once you have identified dry rot, you will need to remove the affected area. As an example; you find a 2×4 in the wall that has dry rot in a field that is 2 inches thick and 5 inches long, remove that area by taking it down at least 4 inches and going 4 inches longer on each side of the 5-inch spot. The reason for that is to make sure you have gotten all the fungi that cause dry rot. Treat the wood with a sealer, allow it to dry then use a wood filler such as plastic wood to fill the area and then treat the area again.
Sometimes repairing is not possible and it must be replaced.
If you are not confident in your ability to complete the project with beautiful results or if the damaged area is too significant or too far out of your reach, you may contact Sacramento Handyman for assistance. You can call 916-472-0507 to request a free estimate for the work needed on your home.