Tips on Shower Door Installation and Repair
We have assembled a few advice on shower door installation and repair to help you do it yourself instead of paying a plumber or general contractor for the job.
Shower Door Installation
When it comes to shower door installation follow these tips for an easy install.
• Measure the door area in 3 places vertically, so measure the tub side where the rail will be fitted, then in between there and where the top rail will be to make sure that it is square. If it is not square, you will want to place a filler strip in that matches either the tub color or the shower rails color for the doors to close and operate correctly.
• Cut the rails to fit snuggly within the stall walls. Smooth any rough spots with a file.
• Set the track on the tub edge and make sure that it is centered from front to back with a tape measure and mark it with a pencil.
• Mark the side rails next by placing it against the wall so that it sits on the bottom track then use a level to make sure that it is level and plumb, mark with a pencil. Repeat for the other end.
• If using a top rail place top rail over the side rails and use a level to make sure that it is level.
• Now drill holes in the wall to put side rails so that you can insert wall anchors to screw into when you place the rails against the wall. Caulk around the rails to ensure that they are sealed properly.
• Once you have the rails up it is time to place doors; hang them on rails and make sure they slide back and forth easily. You are now down installing sliding glass doors on your shower.
Shower Door Repair
A shower door repair can range from simple to medium in the difficulty of the repair. Here are some tips:
• Prevent shower door leaks by caulking along the side and bottom rails inside of the doors to help keep water inside the shower. It will ensure that you have a proper seal.
• If the slide is no longer smooth and effortless; first clean the rail along the tub. When that does not correct the issue, check the rollers for damage. If you find damage on the rollers remove the doors and replace the rolls, the rehang the doors.
• If your shower door glass becomes cracked or broken, you can replace the glass in it without getting all new doors. First, measure the glass then order safety acrylic glass to replace the glass in the shower door that is damaged or broken. When you change the glass, be sure to caulk around it with clear caulk to make sure that there will be no leaks. Never use regular glass in shower doors.
Regardless whether it is an install or a repair, these tips can help you do it yourself and save money on a plumber or a general contractor.